Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Ketubah....

My inspiration for this blog submission is of course my wedding this past weekend. Sarah and David had a very simple yet elegant Jewish wedding and with the simplicity came a few minutes of down time for my assistant and I so I was able to actually take some time and look over the Ketubah. WOW what a beautiful amazing work of art!

I love to get a full understanding on all cultures and religions not only for my line of work but because it is so fascinating to see what traditions each one grasp a hold of. The Ketubah was a huge focal point for me. Mainly because it is so visually appealing but it is also a heartfelt contract. It is not your standard county marriage licence. This is a piece of art that will proudly be displayed in their home for eternity. I can only imagine the time it must take to find the perfect Ketubah.

During my research on the history of the Ketubah I found a few key notes I thought I would share.

Definition: The Hebrew marriage contract dating back to ancient times is called the Ketubah. The Ketubah is usually printed in a very beautiful, artistic, and creative way as a keepsake document for the bride and groom and an heirloom to pass on.

Literal Translation of Ketubah: The literal translation of ketubah is "it is written."
The Ketubah, dating back 2000 years, is one of the first legal documents giving financial and legal rights to women. (very interesting)

What is the Content a Ketubah?Most of the ketubah texts today reflect on a couple's commitment to love and honor one another, and their respect for one another.
The content of a ketubah generally also includes the date and place of the wedding, the names of the bride and groom, and their fathers' names.
Traditional ketubahs also discussed the trousseau and other financial aspects of the marriage.

Here are a few gorgeous samples of what a Ketubah may look like.





















No comments: